Busy life schedules sometimes results in undesired rugs that are unsightly through neglect. Wanting to restore the once elegant and charming area rug happens all too often among homeowners. Because diligent vacuuming didn’t occur, the layers of dirt and debris is compacted through daily traffic and substance spills that were insufficiently treated. Not to mention, professional cleaning was never even considered as a part of the maintenance. In an effort to help you restore your area rug, we at Tough Carpet Cleaning would like to offer some tips and steps to help you restore your area rug.
Tips to Revive & Rejuvenate Neglected Area Rugs
1) Extract the Dirt. To avoid a big mess, make sure you extract the debris before treating the stains. Use your vacuum to completely and efficiently vacuum the top of the rug and then the bottom. Repeat vacuuming the top and bottom the rug again as you loosened some dirt the first time you vacuumed.
2) Cleansing Solution Choices. Following the vacuuming, be sure to read the label’s directions and warnings and apply it to the cleaning and treating of stains. No matter what ultimately decide to use to clean the stains, always perform a patch test in an inconspicuous are to make sure it does not alter the rug negatively.
White Vinegar: Used on its own or in different concoctions, white vinegar has a variety of uses. It can be used as a disinfectant, a deodorizer, and remove an assortment of stains. It has the ability to lighten dye however, so it needs to be used carefully. Diluting the potency of the vinegar can spare the lightening effects. Recommendation: Severe stains use concentrated vinegar, moderate stains equal parts water and vinegars, and mild spots use 1 part vinegar 3 parts water.
Shaving Cream: Shaving cream is a tough solvent against most stains. Wait 5 minutes after applying a generous layer of shaving cream on the stains and wipe clean with a damp cloth.
Mild Dish Soap: For a basic cleaner, mix together in a squirt bottle 2 cups warm water and 2 tsp and liquid dish soap. Capable of loosening compacted dirt and cutting through most stains, generously mist the stains without oversaturation and blot the stains clean.
3) Rinse the Residue. After treating stains with the desired cleaner, be sure to rinse the residues away. Use a damp cloth or a squirt bottle of pure water and mist the surface and blot the area well. Avoid over saturation or you have the potential mold and mildew growth.
4) Thoroughly Dry. With a dry towel, dry the rug well. If weather permits open up the windows and turn on the fans to expedite the drying stage.
5) Vacuum. Vacuum the rug well once it is completely dry.
Area Rug Cleaning & More in Enterprise, Paradise, Spring Valley, Henderson, North LV, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountain’s Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada
If you should find that the area rug still bears stains or the soil is still compacted in the fibers, call in the experts of Tough Carpet Cleaning. Our professionals can treat your area rug to restore to its original vibrancy with a comprehensive cleaning, sanitizing, and deodorizing process. Call us today to get started!