Carpets of old seemed to be darker in color, which made stains harder to see. Today, lighter carpets are more popular, but this makes stains more obvious. These lighter carpets hide nothing. Carpets that have protectors on them are easier to clean. Some stains are easy to remove while others are not, but with the right tools and experience, almost any stain can be removed. Knowing how to tackle these spots and stains can make it more successful at removing them but some stains will just need professional help.
How to Remove Old Carpet Stains
1. Coffee & Tea. Have a coffee remover on hand if you’re a coffee drinker. There is also a dye remover that dyes the beverage but not the carpet and can be very successful.
2. Green tea. Needs its own number in the list. It’s great for your health but not your carpet. The green dye in it can be impossible to remove but dye removers may help.
3. Cooking oil. How it gets on carpet doesn’t make much sense, but it can’t be removed by hand. The longer it sits, the more dirt will stick to it. Hot water extraction with a good enzyme cleaner will be very successful at removing oil.
4. Colored drinks. Kool Aid, orange soda, red wine, etc. all have food coloring and rarely come out with steam cleaning alone. The more we play with it, the harder it will be to remove.
5. Pet stains. Even the best trained pets will have accidents. Pet stains are very acidic and can discolor carpet if left for too long, but with the right cleaners you can be successful at removing them.
6. Nail polish. It’s quite alarming to find nail polish on carpet. Depending on the type of carpet, nail polish can be removed with some work and the right solvents. If it can’t be removed it can at least appear less noticeable.
7. Mustard. Yellow mustard can be almost impossible to remove because it dyes carpet. Like nail polish, it can look less noticeable if it can’t be completely removed.
Carpet Stain Removal Tips
Fresh stains are always easier to remove. The wrong methods of stain removal can make the stain harder or almost impossible to remove. Do not rub stains! Rubbing or scrubbing will only spread the stain and can damage the carpet fibers. Work the stain from the outside in. Stains need to be blotted with a clean cloth to prevent spreading and to absorb as much the stain as possible. Continue using new cloths or paper towel until the stain doesn’t transfer to any more. Use warm, not hot, water to rinse the stained area completely. Hot water can set stains, making them almost impossible to remove.
Carpet Cleaning Services & More in Enterprise, Paradise, Spring Valley, Henderson, North LV, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountains Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada
When you have a stain on your carpet, don’t panic, take a deep breath and get started on it. If you are unsuccessful call the experts at Tough Carpet Cleaning. Our experts have the knowledge, skill and resources to remove any stain from any type of carpet. Give us a call today to have your carpets looking as good as new!