After a flood or burst pipe the process of water removal, drying and reconstruction can begin. These actions should be taken as soon as possible. The big reason are health concerns regarding bacterial and mold growth.
After an initial inspection, the water damage restoration is classed according to exposure.
Classes of Water Damage
• Class 1: damage may include only a part of a room that has absorbed little water. This is the least damaged of all of the classifications.
• Class 2: here the damage is across pretty much the whole room, with water having been absorbed into carpeting and lower walls.
• Class 3: more wall absorption up into the walls, most the area is saturated with standing water, and may have ceiling damage as it was the entry point. The is the most extensive damage classification.
• Class 4 considers damage to specialty items and materials, such as hardwood, stone and concrete requiring special consideration during drying.
Category 1, 2 & 3 Water Damage
Classification of water damage is not the only way water damage is quantified. There are categories as well.
• Category 1 involves damage from a clean water source, like toilet tanks, broken supply pipes and other sources of clean and/or potable water. Extended exposure can degrade the situation to a lower category.
• Category 2 involves damage from gray water, like a washing machine or dishwasher containing detergents, include over run toilets.
• Category 3 the damage is from completely unsanitary water, adding a potential illness, disease hazard or may lead to a fatality. Category 3 water is from over flowing sewage lines, river flooding and standing water that has begun to support bacteria, mold, fungi and other microbial infestations.
Next move on to remediation. First goal is to remove the water. Pumps and wet/dry vacuums are used depending on the water depth. Water removal should begin ASAP (as soon as possible) to prevent exacerbating problem with an attendant growth in bacteria and molds.
Drying Wet Carpet
Drying is next. The rooms must be dehumidified, drying out the materials. This can take a while. Up to a couple of weeks to be done right. The cleaning phase is next. All personal belongings need to cleaned and sanitized. This is to prevent the growing of molds and bacteria. Carpeting, clothing, drapes and bedding need to be treated with antimicrobial agents. Air scrubbers to clean out the air.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in Enterprise, Paradise, Spring Valley, Henderson, North LV, Summerlin, Sunrise Manor, Aliante, Anthem, Desert Shores, Eldorado, Green Valley Ranch, Inspirada, Mountains Edge, Peccole Ranch, Providence, Rhodes Ranch, Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, The Lakes, Tuscany Village & Las Vegas Nevada
An alternative to inconvenient and costly carpet replacement is calling a carpet cleaning company like Tough Carpet Cleaning quickly to perform water extraction, carpet drying, cleaning and deodorizing. Contact us for all your floor and upholstery cleaning needs.