During the holidays there is so much magic in the air. Lights, music, celebrations, alcohol and more all combine to make the holidays such a wonderful time of the year. Many people will burn candles to make their houses become filled with the smell of the holidays. Candles really can add the perfect touch to your house that is all decked out for the holidays. Sometimes candles get bumped and the candle wax ends up all over your beautiful carpet. How on earth do you get candle wax out of your carpet?
What is the Best Way to Get Candle Wax Out of Carpet
One method we have seen work requires a bag of ice or an ice pack, an iron, a paper towel or cloth towel, carpet cleaning or rubbing alcohol, a butter knife, and a vacuum. Let’s break it down step by step.
1. The first thing that you will do is get the bag of ice or an ice pack and place it on the wax. The goal is to freeze the wax. You may want to wrap the bag or ice pack in a towel so that the wax does not get wet. If the wax gets wet the process does not work as well so you will want to be careful during this step.
2. Once the wax is frozen get your butter knife out. Scrape the wax off of your carpet as much as you can. Most of the time there is still wax that you cannot get off. Do not worry about that wax too much. The next steps should get it out for you.
3. Get your paper towel or cloth towel and put it on the wax. Plug in your iron and set it to the setting that will work on your carpet. If you set your iron too hot it will melt the fibers in your carpet so be careful! You will want to make sure that the steam is turned off. Slowly rub the iron over the paper towel or cloth towel. The wax will absorb into the towel.
4. Repeat step three as many times as necessary until the wax is all the way out of the carpet. If you repeat it you will want to change out your towel or paper towel if needed.
5. Once the wax is out there can be small bits of wax or dye from the candle still on your carpet. Use carpet cleaner or rubbing alcohol to clean it out. This may take some time and some hard work on your part but it should come out just fine.
6. When you are done with all of that you will want to vacuum your carpet to restore the texture of the carpet.
If you find wax on your fabric furniture this method will also work. If you did not notice the wax on your carpet until after it is hardened you can use the same method as above but skip the part where you freeze the wax. Following all of the other steps will help you get rid of this wax.