New tile and grout look fabulous, but over time the grout will become dirty. If you go to the store you’ll be able to find a wide selection of grout cleaners to clean tough grout stains. You might be surprised to learn that you have some items in your home that can clean your grout. These include vinegar, lemon, baking soda, bleach and salt. Using some of these can save you some money.
Homemade Grout Cleaning Methods
1. 1/3 cup ammonia, ¼ cup vinegar and ½ cup baking soda. Mix these ingredients together and apply it to your dirty grout. Let it sit for 20 minutes and use a scrubber to clean it and then wash the floor with plain water. This grout cleaner is a good way to keep your floor free of dirt but this solution should not be used on limestone, marble or travertine tile.
2. ¼ cup baking soda, ¼ cup vinegar and ¼ cup salt. Mix these ingredients together in a small container and apply it to the grout lines. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes and make sure it doesn’t dry. Take a scrub brush and scrub the paste with lukewarm water. This method should also be avoided with limestone, marble and travertine tile.
3. ¾ cup baking soda, ¼ cup bleach and water. Mix the bleach and baking soda in a small container and add enough water to make a paste and apply it to the dirty grout lines. The bleach will remove the dirt from the grout and refresh the tile. You can substitute lemon for the water if you’d like. This method is better for white and light colored grout. If you use it on darker grout it might fade from its original color.
4. 3 cups baking soda and 1 cup water. Mix these two ingredients together to make a paste and apply it to the grout lines. Leave it for least a couple of minutes and then rinse it away with water.
5. 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 3 parts baking soda. Mix these two ingredients together you apply it to the grout lines. Wait for a couple of minutes and the rinse with lukewarm water. The hydrogen peroxide will work at bleaching out the dirt and will have your floor looking clean. This solution shouldn’t be used on colored grouts.
Professional Grout & Tile Cleaning Services in the Las Vegas Valley, Summerlin, North LV & Henderson Nevada
More and more companies are offering grout cleaning services. If you’re getting tired of cleaning your own grout, you can hire professionals to do it for you. We use industrial strength cleaners that will get the job done quickly and make you wonder why you ever spent so much time doing it yourself! Each company will have its own claims on how good the results will be and how long it will last. Some companies will add a coating to help your grout stay cleaner longer. If these DIY methods aren’t working for you or you’re tired of cleaning your own grout, give Tough Carpet Cleaning a call to do it for you. Our professional cleaning technicians can have your grout and tile looking as good as new!